Parents can redeem their childcare vouchers against the cost of a nanny by employing a nanny who is already registered on the Ofsted Childcare Register (OCR) or a nanny who is willing to register.
Parents cannot apply on behalf of their nanny and please be aware that the registration process can take unto 12 weeks, so its advisable that once an offer of employment has been accepted they should apply straight away to avoid long periods where vouchers can’t be used.
All applications cost £103 and this includes the cost of the CRB/DBS disclosure and there is an annual fee of £103 to remain on the register.
To apply for registration the nanny must hold the following:-
- Public Liability Insurance, on average this costs an annual fee of £70 for £3,000,000 cover or £90 for £5,000,000 cover
- Valid paediatric first aid certificate-approx £120
- Nanny needs to confirm that she has common core skills and knowledge in childcare and that they are suitable to work with children. For more information on common core skills please refer to the Ofsted website or call 0300 123 1231
- An enhanced CRB/DBS check or this will be completed as part of the registration if one is not already held.
There are three ways a nanny can apply
- Online at www.ofsted.gov.uk
- Telephone 0300 123 1231
- Request a form in writing at